Friday, February 17, 2012

Tea Buy

It's time to start thinking about our tea buy. My tea shelves are not looking as full as I'd like them to be, so it's a great chance for me and everyone else to save on some shipping and buy some tea for themselves as well.

I think we will buy club tea in one of these ways, depending on our funding situation:

- If you get money for free from the University, then we will use that to buy club tea.
- If we don't get much from the University, or if free money is contingent on us putting our own money, then we will raise some funds from among us, in order to get some free money.
-If funds are not easy to get, then we pool some money among us, or simply buy tea on our own and host tea meetings with our own teas.

If we do end up getting shared tea belonging to the club, I think we will most likely be buying samples. 10 - 25 grams at a time, enough to have a small tasting session, and then to revisit the tea after a while.

I've put together some links for some reputable vendors, some of which I've personally tried. Much of what I usually want to buy, especially Pu-erh and Yancha, I just can't find locally (and by locally, I'm including Toronto). So have a look.


description:

Chinese teas. This outfit offers Pu-erhs around 50 years old, as well as it's own line of single village young pu-erhs. Great looking website. Their teaware selection includes antique cups.


description:

Chinese teas. Great selection of Oolong, Green, and red tea. Some very affordable teas can be found. Some nice affordable teaware as well.


description:

Very nice selection of Chinese teas from across the spectrum. I've browsed from this vendor but haven't made any purchases.


description:

Huge selection of recent production pu-erhs, and relatively inexpensive examples of other types of teas.


Japanese teas. They offer samples packs.

If you know of any good vendors, please make a post!

2 comments:

  1. Since I saw it demonstrated at the first meeting, I've been kind of itching to buy a gaiwan. (Unfortunately, the $5 one from Jing Tea Shop is sold out atm, so I'm not sure where would be the best place to get one, but either way...) If there's a group-buy going on, I'm interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Gaiwan is the most versatile brewing item you can buy. It brews all kinds of teas well, and is probably the best thing at brewing green teas and light oolongs.

    This one at Dragon Tea House is nice, and not badly priced at 12 dollars (shipped!)

    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Zhen-Chang-Shun-White-Ceramic-Gaiwan-100ml-3-4-fl-oz-/230400734276?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35a4f43444#ht_6359wt_1165

    ReplyDelete